Search This Blog

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Cheeriness


Well, our great excursion to Moss Greenhouse in Twin Falls was not so great. Before I lead into the not so great things about the trip, I will delight you with some of its awesomeness. First, and most importantly, we all got to take a half day away from our regular lives to ooh and awe at pretty flowers.

I think these are African Daisy's (mom?)


Second, the trip included some of my most favorite people. My mom, Jessica, Suni, Ava, and myself fit rather comfortably in the truck and I hope I can speak for all of us when I say that it was a pleasant experience. In addition to a break from work, and good company, I also love going to greenhouses when the weather is bad. It is similar to the feeling I get when I am working out and a song comes on my Ipod that makes me run just a bit faster, like I am the carrier of a precious, fragile little secret. While the wind was blowing, we were surrounded by soothing water features and the fresh blooms and alluring fragrances of the flowers. Before moving on to the not so great part of the trip, showing you a picture of the little secret seems like the right thing to do. After all, I strive to keep my moral constitution in check.


If you look closely you can see Suni following her new friend. She is like her grandpa and seems to have no reserve when it comes to strangers.

Anyway, on to the bummer part of the trip. Although we did not realize the potential disaster, we entered the greenhouse with our spirits high and our eyes on the most pragmatic choices for the farmer's market. Since this was my second year going to Twin Falls for flowers I felt so much smarter than the last year and was eager to show my mom just how far I'd come. That went fine. I felt good about my input and admired the cart as we were waiting to check out.



We were a bit let down by the selection at the greenhouse. This may have been influenced by our high spirits for the 2 hour drive. Perhaps we just got too excited. We decided to go to Fred Meyer and check out their flowers because the climate in Twin Falls is warmer and because they have a covered greenhouse unlike Idaho Falls, which makes for a much more diverse selection. Needless to say, my mom came out with 8 more flats of flowers from Fred Meyer. This was when we realized that we were not as well-prepared for our trip to Moss' and we had initially thought. We were driving home and thinking about all that we did not get. This led us to scramble a bit this weekend when we were planting and now we are on the lookout for some taller flowers to go in the big flower pots that we apparently forgot all about when we were at Moss'.

Here is the greenhouse now that our flowers have been relocated and the Farmer's Market flowers have moved in.


You will notice the future gardener in the corner.

Oh well I guess, you live and learn. But, I suspect that the trip next year will go just about the same. I think this may be because we have been living under cloudy skies for several months and are over-ecstatic to see new growth when in it freezing cold outside.













1 comment:

  1. I love going to Moss Greenhouse each year if only to look at all the new plants and ideas. We will get better each year.

    ReplyDelete