Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Not All That It Could Be

The Idaho Falls Farmer's Market started last Saturday and the weather was so bad that the first day is not even worth dedicating an entire post to. To prepare for this horrifically cold and miserable day we spent nine sleepless nights in a row planting in the greenhouse, peeing outside and eating dirt. All to save time. Okay, so that is not true, but we did work really hard to get everything planted so that we could A) go guilt-free to Vegas and B) have all of our flowers looking mature and standing at full attention well before the first day. We accomplished both A and B.

I am now going to relay the story of the horrible day but, to help us all out and put us in the right frame of mind I will be intermingling the dreadful story with pictures of pretty things that are growing.

The day that we had so rigorously prepared for was not, to the disappointment of the Army. "All that it could be". In fact, it wasn't really anything that it could be. The weather was negative one million degrees with a record breaking one thousand mile an hour wind.

This is where breaking through one million year old tree branches came in handy because I was strong enough to withstand the conditions. Well, only for about two hours. I tried to get out of it an hour and a half into my post by calling my mom and telling her that the flowers just weren't making it.


Instead of telling me how proud she was of me for enduring said horrible conditions for what really did seem like an eternity and offering to bring me some hot chocolate, she told me to take the ones that did not look good down and put them in the corner.
I was like "nobody puts Baby in a corner, nobody". No wait, I wasn't like that at all.


I did as I was told and continued to stand in the almost unbearable conditions. I finally convinced her a half hour later , after we had made no sales and probably pissed people off with our " buy blooming flowers in the freezing cold" mentality.

The weather for this coming Saturday looks promising. Cross your fingers and come buy a strawberry ball. If you are lucky Suni will save you some ripe strawberries.































2 comments:

  1. You are so cute, Dana.. :) I love your beautiful flowers, I hope you have a better Saturday this week (hopefully it will stop snowing)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again, another great use of those strong arm muscles - keeping the plants from blowing over at the market until your post was up!

    ReplyDelete