Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Possible Murder Suspect



Be prepared for a series of emotions.

First, I want you to feel proud because I managed to plant my first tree.

Second, I want you to feel sad because I may not be able to keep it alive. And because I am trying to keep this pine tree alive in a wheelbarrow of water until my brother-in-law comes home. It seems a bit unlikely.



Third, I want you to, once again, feel proud. I managed to move the rose bush that was in one of the only 'water guarantee' safe zones in my front yard to make room for the tree.


(old home)



(new home)

Fourth, I want you to feel scared because I had to dig through one million year old tree branches to get deep enough to plant the tree. Why should you feel scared? Have you ever dug through one million year old tree branches? Are your arm muscles huge? I highly doubt it. Those of you who know me, know that I am always threatening to punch things in the face. Imagine being punched in the face by someone who has dug through one million year old tree branches without using a single power tool. Now you are scared.








Lastly, I found this super cool (my use of the words 'super cool' in casual conversations, teaching, blogging and sometime academic papering has led me to officially decide that I am a caged bird who sometimes needs to say 'like' in a conversation and apparently, you are not to do that when you have a PhD in literature...bummer) perennial with perfect little blue flowers and when I planted it, I noticed that I planted one last year too. So, now instead of having only one 'super cool' plant with perfect blue flowers, I have two. The emotion you are to feel is awe.


2 comments:

  1. I am so glad that you told us which emotions to feel and when, otherwise I would have been completely emotionally confused. I am, however, bummed that with a PhD you are no longer allowed to use 'super cool' or 'like' in casual conversation, now I must rethink my life plan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am I then left to assume those huge arm muscles were too much for that poor little shovel??

    ReplyDelete